There are many resources in Palm Beach County and the Treasure Coast for all kinds of issues. Several government agencies and nonprofit organizations can help older people and people of all ages.

The chart below has the top questions the Elder Rights Center of Excellence receives from seniors, caregivers and loved ones. Each answer includes a free resource to help resolve the issue.

If you have any questions or need help finding the right resource for your situation, please call the Elder Rights Center at (561) 684-5885. We are here to help!


How do I get help with legal issues?

The Older Americans Act provides some funding for legal help for people over 60. If you think you might need an attorney, call one of these resources:

Palm Beach County:

  • For free legal help (not everyone will qualify), call the Palm Beach County Legal Aid Society at 561-655-8944 or visit http://www.legalaidpbc.org/services_help.php
  • To find a private attorney, call the Palm Beach Bar Lawyer Referral Service at 561-687-2800 or visit https://www.palmbeachbar.org/lawyer-referral-service/
  • The Palm Beach County Clerk of Courts has a Self Help Center with forms and documents. You may be able to use these forms to represent yourself.
    • You can also make an appointment to meet with an attorney at the Self Help Center. The attorney can give advice about Family, Small Claims and Landlord/Tenant cases. There may be a fee to meet with the attorney. To schedule an appointment, please call 561-355-7048.

Treasure Coast:

  • For free legal help (not everyone will qualify), call Florida Rural Legal Services at 772-466-4766
  • To find a private attorney, call the Florida Bar Association at 1-800-342-8011 or visit https://lrs.floridabar.org/
  • Each county has its own website and they may have the forms you need online. For help, contact your county:


How do I file complaints about fraud or scams?

Visit this page to learn more about filing complaints about fraud, scams, and identity theft.


Who do I call for help with other problems?

The chart below lists free resources to help with the top problems we hear about in the Elder Rights Center.


What to do if...

Free resource 

More information

Neighbors are harassing me

Fair Housing Center of the Greater Palm Beaches (serves all of Florida)

1-877-910-FAIR (3247) 


Can help with harassment based on age, disability, race, religion, national origin, sex, marital status, familial status, sexual orientation, gender identification

Someone is being abused, neglected or exploited

Call Adult Protective Services right away at 1-800-96-ABUSE (1-800-962-2873)

If someone is abusing or exploiting a senior, you should also call local law enforcement right away.

You can make a report anonymously

I have concerns about a guardianship

To report suspected fraud in Palm Beach County, call:

The Palm Beach County Clerk’s Office 

561-355-FRAUD (561-355-3728


Florida State Guardianship Association Floridaguardians.com

To register for a class on guardianship, call Catholic Charities at 561-775-9560

I have an immigration issue

Catholic Charities of Palm Beach - Immigration Services (Riviera Beach Office)


Services are available in Indian River, Martin, Okeechobee, Palm Beach, and Saint Lucie Counties

I have a problem with an HOA or Condo Association

Division of Florida Condominiums, Timeshares, and Mobile Homes  


Use the name of association that is on your deed (this may be different than what the association is commonly called)

I gave someone money to fix my car or house, but they did not make the repairs

Florida Department of Business & Professional Regulations



You will need a copy of any papers you have and all cancelled checks or credit card statements

I was cheated by a car dealer

Florida Office of Financial Regulation




Florida Highway Safety and Motor Vehicles


There is no 3-day return period in Florida

I have a problem with an insurance company 

Florida CFO Insurance Fraud Division


You will need your policy number, anything you sent to the insurance company, and anything the company sent you 

I am getting harassed about a debt I do not owe

Florida Office of Financial Regulation



Consumer Financial Protection Bureau


You will need a copy of the bill, your account number, and any letters from the debt collector

I am getting harassed about a debt I do owe

Certified nonprofit credit counseling:

  •  The Urban League                               561-833-1461                         ULPBC.org 
  •  Debthelper                                        561-472-8000             Debthelper.com
  •  ClearPoint Credit Counseling        561-472-5060  https://www.clearpoint.org

Credit and budget counseling are free at each agency.


However, they offer other services that may have a fee.

I can’t pay my mortgage

To find a HUD approved counseling agency:

  • Call 1-888-995-4673
  • Or contact Florida’s Hardest Hit Program: 1-877-863-5244           FLHardestHitHelp.org

You will need a copy of your mortgage statement and proof of your income. Help is available for homes with regular or reverse mortgages.

I received an eviction notice


  • Palm Beach Legal Aid Society   561-655-8944
  • Florida Rural Legal Services     772-466-4766
Only a court order can tell a tenant when to leave.
However, if the landlord wants you out, it is probably time to look for new housing.
I need to find affordable housing

Use Florida Housing’s online housing search:



Search for subsidized housing:


Can search by county or zip code for affordable housing, assisted living facilities, and adult family care homes.
Website has a rent calculator.

I have a problem with a doctor, nurse, dentist, or other health care professional

Florida Department of Health


This is for complaints against individuals. For a facility, use the AHCA contact information below.
I have concerns about a medical facility, assisted living facility, or nursing home

Agency for Health Care Administration (AHCA)




Florida Long Term Care Obmudsman

AHCA investigates complaints and regulates. 
The Ombudsman can mediate ongoing situations.





Other Resources



Questions? Need help? Please call (561) 684-5885 and press option 3 to leave a voicemail for our Elder Rights Center. We check our voicemail daily and will respond to you as quickly as possible.



Copyright © 2019 All Rights Reserved