Q. As a caregiver I could use a break, what is available for me?
- There are several programs that can provide a companion to come into your home and provide, what we call respite for the caregiver.
- Another option is adult day care where your loved one attends a center during the day so a caregiver can have a longer break or even continue to work.
- Some of these programs require a certain diagnosis, others require a share of cost.
Q. What kind of support is there for me as a caregiver?
- Contact the Healthy Living Center of Excellence at our agency for Caregiver programs
- There are several agencies that can provide one on one caregiver support and problem solving in your home
- Call us for more information on support groups in your area
- The Older American Act programs can provide caregiver education and support
Q. How can I be paid to be a caregiver to my loved one?
- There are two programs that can assist with paying a family member as a caregiver. Both require the client meet Medicaid financial income and asset guidelines.
Q. Caregiver costs are expensive, what kind of financial support is there?
- You or your loved one may qualify for the Medicare Savings Program to save your Medicare Part B premium, you may qualify for Extra Help with your prescription drug costs.
- Find out if you qualify for food stamps. Do you know there is no asset limit for food stamps?
- You may qualify for EHAEP – assistance to pay your past due electric bill
Q. I am looking for Home Delivered Meals
- There are several options for home delivered meals to include: several programs that will deliver food and paying privately out of pocket.
- There are certain criteria to receive meals at no cost under the Older Americans Act such as the client must be over 60 years old and homebound.
Q. I am looking for someone to clean my house.
- This is a very common question. Typically people won’t get homemaker services in their home from the publicly funded dollars unless they need assistance with other activities of daily living such as bathing and dressing.
- We can explore with you other savings such as prescription drug costs so you may be able to afford to pay for the housekeeper.
Q. I am looking for assistance to set up my living will, health care surrogacy or Power of Attorney
- This assistance may be available from one of our legal providers that is funded under the Older American Act at no cost to you.
For all these questions and many more
please call the Helpline at 866-684-5885