October is National Cybersecurity Awareness Month, which is a good reminder for all of us to take steps to stay safer online. Below are a few simple things you can do to protect yourself.
To protect your accounts from hackers:
- Create a strong password. For tips on how to do this, see Creating a Password.
- Secure your home Wi-Fi network and create a unique password. Do not use the factory default settings!
- Do not access personal or financial accounts (such as online banking) when using a public computer or public Wi-Fi network.
- Use a credit card with a low limit when shopping online, to limit the damage a thief can do if they get your card number.
To protect your devices against viruses and malware:
- Update to the latest anti-virus software, web browser, and operating systems on your phones, computers, and other devices.
- Sign up for automatic updates to protect your devices from new threats.
Ready to learn more? Click here for more tips about cybersecurity, internet scams, and identity theft.
The estimated global cost of cybercrime
by the end of 2019 is $2 trillion.