SHINE is now your local Senior Medicare Patrol Program
What is SHINE? (Serving Health Insurance Needs of Elders)
SHINE is funded by the Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services and is administered by the Florida Department of Elder Affairs. SHINE volunteers provide free and unbiased information to Medicare beneficiaries, disabled adults, their caregivers, community groups and more.
SHINE volunteers offer counseling on:
• Medicare Eligibility and Enrollment
• Medicare Health Plan (Advantage Plan) Choices
• Medicare Coverage Issues and Appeals?
• Medicare Fraud, Abuse and Prevention
• Supplement (Medigap) Policies
• Prescription Assistance
• Medicaid for Dually-Eligible Medicare Beneficiaries
• Employer or Military Coverage Issues
Can you answer yes to one of the following statements?
• I am 65 years of age or older
• I am under 65 and I have been declared disabled
• I have End-Stage Renal Disease (ESRD)
• I have Lou Gehrig's Disease (ALS)
If so, you are likely eligible for Medicare benefits and the SHINE program can help.
Connect with us:
Need to speak with a SHINE Medicare counselor?
• Call your local Helpline at 1-866-684-5885 and ask for the SHINE program. Counselors work by appointment only and are available to speak with you either over the phone or in-person.
• Or visit online at www.floridaSHINE.org and click on your county to see upcoming events, community presentations, and counseling locations.
How can you help:
Are you interested in finding a unique volunteer opportunity? We invite you to apply to become a SHINE volunteer.
To be a volunteer, you need to:
• Take 8 online modules over a month period and attend one day face to face review.
• Be willing to serve at least sixteen (16) hours a month;
• Not be affiliated with any insurance company, agency, product or service (including being licensed to sell insurance in Florida); and
• Have an email account and basic computer skills.
Last year, SHINE volunteers in our area volunteered over 7,300 hours of service to provide one-on-one counseling to over 5,300 consumers. Join the SHINE team of volunteers, and make a real difference in the lives of seniors and disabled adults in your community.
For more information about becoming a SHINE volunteer click on the link below
In your community:
Looking for an interesting presentation in your community? SHINE provides free Medicare presentations on many Medicare topics in the Palm Beach, Martin, St. Lucie, Indian River, and Okeechobee Counties. To view our current community events, please visit: http://floridashine.org/Community-Events.aspx
To schedule a presentation, contact Desirae Mearns at 561-684-5885 ext. 59570.
View our brochures:
• SHINE Program Brochure (english)
• SHINE Program Brochure (spanish)